Have you been looking for a snack or something to add to your meal to help make you feel full and more satisfied after you have eaten? Well it is common to find that you are not always satisfied when you are done eating a meal. It is important to learn the difference between feeling satisfied and feeling full. If you have the ‘I feel full” kind of feeling then you have eaten too much! You want to consume food that will make you not feel hungry but not make you feel like you have eaten too much either. Learning the difference does take some time. And at first it is uncomfortable if you are accustomed to eating until you “feel like you are full”. Just because you are trying to cut back on calories does not mean that you have to starve yourself! Never starve yourself! Find snacks that are healthy for you and find foods that will help keep you satisfied and full longer.
Here are some great suggestions for some foods that will help you to eat less but satisfy those cravings you may have.
- Bananas: These are a great snack to carry around with you! These do not hold a lot of calories and they help to stop those hunger feelings if you are in between meals. Not only is this a great snack but it is not very expensive and these can be found at almost any store any time of the year! For those who want to keep those in their office drawer try dehydrating banana chips (you will need a dehydrator or find a baking recipe!) This is a great way to preserve a bulk of bananas you have bought and you can keep them in your purse or anyplace just in case you need a quick snack!
- Oatmeal: This is a great power food! It is high in fiber and is low in calories. This is also a great snack because you can add things to it to spice it up (just as long as you do not add too much to make it not a healthy snack anymore)! This is a quick snack to make, and it is also relatively cheap! Store brands and the name brands taste pretty much the same; the only difference between them is the price.
- Peanut Butter: The best kind of peanut butter to find is the kind that says “100% roasted peanuts” on the nutritional label. This kind can be found in the organic aisle or placed with all the other peanut butter. It is important to get this kind because this is the healthiest kind of peanut butter to get! The other brands are fine but they are packed with other ingredients that make it not as healthy and slightly more processed. Peanut butter helps to keep you full for some time and you can pair it with almost anything!!
- Whole Grain Pasta: These are packed with fiber! And, it helps to keep you feeling full for some time. You can also pair pasta with other things to help spice it up (like veggies or a salad). Try to stay away from creamy sauces (like alfredo sauce). Creamy sauces have more calories. Try to use low fat marinara sauce or make a vinaigrette type of dressing to drizzle over the pasta. You can add feta cheese, nuts, or anything else to add to the flavor but will keep the calorie count low.
- Nuts: Nuts are great for snacking. You can try pistachios, almonds, pecans, nuts, and seeds. Just make sure to stick to the suggested serving size (which is usually about a handful)!! Nuts are packed with monounsaturated fatty acids and protein. These may be a little more expensive but they are great for helping you feel full longer.
- Eggs: These are FULL of protein! A secret weapon to feeling full longer and to help you lose that unwanted weight. New studies have suggested that consuming eggs for breakfast may HELP you with losing weight! Just as long as you are not having a dozen every morning you should be fine. I would suggest about 2-3 eggs and try not to fry them in regular canola oil! Try boiling the eggs or if you want them scrambled or fried try to use olive oil. Egg whites are also a great option. I like to mix my egg whites with at least one full egg (for taste and for the extra things that are found in the yolk.
If you start your day off feeling satisfied you will be less likely to binge eat to try to catch up to feeling satisfied. So it is also a great idea to have a great breakfast in the morning to help start your day.
Hope that these are some great suggestions and hope that these tips help you to make healthier food decisions.
Please do not forget to check out my website infinitelifefitness.com for more health and fitness tips!
STUDY: EGGS & WEIGHT LOSS