Chlorine and Summer Hair
Strands can become dry and brittle after long exposure to chlorinated water. Aside from the sun, don't let the pool ruin your tresses this summer. Before jumping in, protect your hair with one or more of the following methods:
* Wet hair with tap or distilled water
Because the strands have been filled with water, chlorinated water is less able to penetrate them.
* Apply conditioner to hair (an inexpensive one will do)
Conditioners can form a barrier between chlorinated water and the hair.
* Wear a swimcap
Prevents chlorinated water from reaching the hair. You can also use certain oils or butters instead.
After you've enjoyed your swim for the summer day, be sure to:
* Rinse and condition your hair
If chlorinated water did interact with your strands:
* Wash your hair with a shampoo (e.g., chelating, certain clarifiers) designed to remove chlorine
* Follow up with a deep conditioner
Enjoy your summer!
SOURCES & OTHER READS:
PROTECTING HAIR FROM CHLORINE DAMAGE
HOW CHLORINE AFFECTS OUR HAIR