Foods for Eye Health
1. Maintain a healthy weightBeing overweight puts you at high risk for developing diabetes, and diabetes affects blood vessels, including in the eye.
2. Incorporate carrots into your diet
Carrots are high in beta carotene, which plays a role in general eye health and is important in the function as well as structural integrity of rods and cones in the back of the eye.
3. Incorporate green leafy vegetables (e.g., kale, spinach, collard greens, turnip greens)
These vegetables are high in lutein and zeaxanthin, which are protective to the eye.
4. Incorporate foods high in antioxidants (e.g., Vitamin A, C, E)
Antioxidants slow the progression of aging or damage to eye.
5. Absorb omega-3 (found in fish, fish oil, etc.)
Omega-3 is overall beneficial for your eye.
To hear Dr. Katz share more tips on eye health, check out this video at WEBMD.